THE EYE OF KURUMAN
The Eye of Kuruman is a natural spring delivering approximately 20-million to 30-million litres of crystal clear water daily, which supplies Kuruman’s domestic water, feeds the Kuruman River and two 7km irrigation canals.
The Eye was discovered by Samuel Daniel during the Truter Somerville expedition in 1801 and it was this source of water that led to the establishment of a mission here in the early 19th century, which led to The Eye being described as the “fountain of Christianity”.
According to available information, The Eye is the biggest natural spring in the Southern Hemisphere. In the early years, the Tswana people christened this fountain gasegonyane, which means “small water calabash with bubbling water”.