In 1880 a syndicate bought the western portion of the farm Grasbult on the Vaal River to irrigate the fertile land and produce vegetables for those working the diamond fields. Named after Sir Charles Warren, diamonds were discovered here in 1888 and mining still continues.
Part of the N12 Battlefield Route with two blockhouses, information panels and memorials. The original Crown and Royal Hotel was the British HQ during the Anglo-Boer War. (Also see Magersfontein under Kimberley.)