On the south bank of the Orange River at the foot of the Doringberg, it was originally named Prieschap, a Khoisan word meaning ‘place of the lost she-goat’.
The site of the town, founded in 1882 and renowned for its semiprecious stones, was a fording place used by early travellers.
Indigenous trees, shrubs and abundant bird life, picnic spots and angling. Suspended bridges cross the Prieska River. Tel 053 353 3059.
On top of Prieska Koppie, built with tiger’s eye by the British during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902).
Cultivation and export of Pistachio Nuts.
The Oranjezicht and T’Keikamspoort hiking trails are 10km south of town in the Doornberge.
Kleindoring Tel 053 353 3064; Omdraaisvlei Tel 053 353 3334; Uitdraai Tel 053 353 1998 and Wonderdraai Tel 053 353 3075.
In town, it contains graves of British soldiers killed during the Anglo-Boer War.
A skillful display of the yesteryear Prieska.
A large array of succulents. The area between Prieska and Vioolsdrif is often called the ‘Rock Garden Route’ – the rare halfmens and succulents of the Lithops family are found here.
Includes semiprecious stones and San stone implements at the municipal offices.
A wonderful freak of nature where a horseshoe-shaped island is formed by the flow of the Orange River and makes it seem as if the river turns to flow uphill.
Victoria Str Prieska 8940 Tel 053 353 5300