North of Springbok, Nababeep’s name combines two Nama words, naba, meaning ‘hump of an animal’ and bib, meaning ‘small spring’. Mining began in the 1850s and, from 1876, ore was taken to Port Nolloth by train, for export. The mine closed during the copper slump of 1919, but reopened in 1937. It is home to the Okiep Copper Company and the region’s largest copper-mining town.
Nababeep Hills Guest House, an AA Recommended bed and breakfast establishment also offers self-catering accommodation. It is located in the heart of Namaqualand, just 20km north of Springbok on the