Other sources quote ‘Koup’ and ‘Tlakalatlou’ (seTswana for ‘elephant’s reed’) as its name. The name, ‘Daniel’s Den’ was first found in documents by the missionary, Campbell, in 1820. The name derives from a natural crater in a limestone formation, reminding observers of the Biblical story of Daniel.
Historians have found no evidence supporting the legend that early Griqua inhabitants used this sinkhole as a prison. Though small, the town thrives on limestone quarrying, diamond mining and the large farming community.