This area was proclaimed in 1931 mainly to protect migratory game, especially the gemsbok. Although the Botswana-South African border bisects the park, there is no boundary fence and the wild animals have complete freedom of movement in a well-balanced ecological area.
Alongside with the adjacent Gemsbok National Park in Botswana, this park comprises an area of over 3.6 million hectares. This is one of very few conservation area of this magnitude left in the world. Tucked away between Botswana and Namibia, this park boasts vast open spaces and endless horizons, one of the world's truly unspoilt eco-systems.
There is something magical about this vast desert national park. Despite frequent drought and extremes of climate, its land nurtures life in great abundance, and the plains teem with animals of virtually every description, the famous Kalahari Lions, Gemsbok with their warrior-like markings, colourful and acrobatic raptors soaring the forever blue skies and endless numbers of Springbok. Urikaruus wilderness camp is located in the Mata-Mata region of the park, between the veil of old camelthorn trees, overlooking the Auob River. Urikaruus is accessible by passenger vehicles.
Riverside Cabin (RC2)
- Check in at Twee Rivieren or Mata Mata
- Unfenced, built on stilts, tourism assist. on duty - No children under 12 allowed
- 1 bedroom with 2 single beds - No additional persons allowed
- Equipped kitchen - Gas fridge / freezer
- Provide own drinking water and firewood - Barbeque facilities on deck
- Solar power for lights, gas for hot water
- Wc and shower