Route your way to STEINKOPF alias KOOKFONTEIN
A Warm Welcome to Steinkopf the town known as “Kookfontein”a historical place with its culture and beautiful stories dating from 1810 when it was founded…..
Steinkopf is located along the N7 about 50km north from Springbok, 67km south from Namibia border and is the last town before the border. It lies at the turn – off R382 to the Richtersveld 90km southeast from Port Nolloth. This town is the gateway to Richetrsveld, Namibia and Cape Town. We are in close proximity to the diamond fields of the Richtersveld, the unique flora of the Richtersveld and the Atlantic Ocean.
WHERE TO STAY
Kookfontein Rondawels offers 6 self catering chalets including 8 spacious double and single bedrooms, all of which are en-suite with private bathrooms. Each chalet has a spacious kitchen facility and TV to give the customer as much comfort and privacy as possible.
The chalets are the first of its kind in the Namaqua region and a replica of the Nama huts but only in a modern style. Its walls are decorated with Quartzite slabs and round stones from our area. The Rondawels blends in with nature and is unique in this way. Braai facilities are available, safe parking, 24 hour security, meals on request, laundry and iron services, pet friendly, wheel chair friendly and child friendly.
Contact details: Letitia Louw
Tel no: 027 721 8841
Cellno: 078 126 0808
Fax no: 0865946682
TOURS ON OFFER @ STEINKOPF
DONKEY CART RIDES
Experience Steinkopf on a donkey cart!
We offer the following packages:
- • Morning rides (± 2 hours)
- • A half day ride in town (Steinkopf)
- • A full day ride to places of interest around Steinkopf
Experience Steinkopf and surroundings on foot!
We have recently laid out our first 1 night and 2 days hiking trail. The Klipfontein/Uitkyk Meander
Don’t forget your hiking shoes and camera. It will be fun in the sun.
We offer 7 customized guided tours.
- • Nama Cultural Day Tour
- • Steinkopf Nature Walk
- • Town Walkabout
- • Klipfontein/Uitkyk Meander (Hiking)
- • Flower tours (in season)
- • Halfmens (Pachipodium Namaquensis) Succulent tour
- • Gospel Tour (Sundays)
- • Tailor made tours to meet the need of our customer.
- • Arts & Craft tour
- • Tour about our people and their type of living.
WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE WE?
- • Take the first turn-of into Springbok
- • Travel ± 7km through Springbok until you reach the exit of town which connect with the N7
- • Travel along the N7 and keep a look out for Okiep on your right
- • Stay on the N7 until you see the sign board that tell you how many km you are from Steinkopf
- • Travel with the N7 untill you reach the town Steinkopf on your left as it leaves town towards Namibia
- • Follow the info signs until you reach Kookfontein Rondawels and info office.
HISTORICAL PLACES OF INTEREST IN AND AROUND STEINKOPF
RHENISH MISSION STATION
Steinkopf was a Rhenish Mission Station and has a rich and interesting history. Sites include the original Rhenish church, the original parsonage – both build by the Rhenish missionary, Rev. Brecher, and the graves of the Brecher family.
OUR ANCESTRAL HISTORY
The Khoikhoi/Nama were the original inhabitants of Namaqualand and Steinkopf. They left a proud history of strong leadership and cultural values. Come experience this part of our history.
OLD KLIPFONTEIN WITH THE ORIGINAL
Visit the site of the old Klipfontein Hotel, which was a stop-over for the old mule-train of the O’kiep Copper Company, during the last two centuries. Sites include the original water-tower used to store the water for these mules.
THE NAMA GROUP
Come and hear the original language spoken by the people of Namaqualand. Be entertained by traditional Nama-dancing, delicacies and see the traditional dwellings of our ancestors. Listen to this group singing hymns in Nama.
STEINKOPF HIGH AND FERDINAND BRECHER PRIMêR SCHOOL CHOIRS
Come and experience the exceptional talent of these young learners. Listen to these young nightingales singing English, Afrikaans, Nama and Xhosa songs.