One of the world's last truly unspoilt ecosystems, the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park came about through the unification of South Africa's Kalahari Gemsbok Park and Botswana's Gemsbok National Park. The Park gives sanctuary to herds of endemic antelope, such as gemsbok, springbok, blue wildebeest, red hartebeest and eland, that have roamed the semi-desert savannah and endless pans for aeons.
But the most famed resident must be the black-maned Kalahari lion. Other mammal species include leopard, cheetah and smaller game including mongoose, porcupine and honey badger. Mammals, reptiles, a countless number of insects and a host of plant species share the desert and dry savannah while approximately 300 bird species, including large raptors, share the endless blue skies.
For outdoor lovers and pursuers of solitude and quiet, Bitterpan is the perfect accommodation choice but take note that it is completely unfenced. A Tourism Assistant is on duty at all times.
Bitterpan is an exclusive, stilted camp overlooking a waterhole and is situated in the centre of the wilderness. A 4x4 route runs through the Kalahari dunes from Nossob to Mata-Mata and the Kalahari Tent Camp.
Guests should consider staying at Nossob before their departure for Bitterpan, as it is an approximately 3 hours drive from Nossob along a one-way 4x4 route. Guests much check in to Bitterpan at Nossob. They cannot do so at Twee Rivieren or Mata-Mata. Nossob itself is at least a three-and-a-half hour drive from Twee Rivieren.
Visitors to Bitterpan should please note the following:
- The camp and its access roads are strictly for the use of its residents only!
- Visitors must supply their own firewood or charcoal
- Visitors must supply their own drinking water
- No Trailers (even 4x4 trailers) will be permitted.
- Visitors should be aware that there is limited driving opportunity once at the camp.
- Only a one-way 15km game drive, however visitors staying longer than one night may use the escape route to Moravet to go onto the tourist routes and back.
- The entrance and exit roads (and the 15km game drive) are strictly one-way.
- No fuel and no shop, nearest facilities at Nossob and Mata-Mata.