Established in 1843 when the presbytery of Graaff-Reinet formed a new congregation for that area. A portion of the farm Driefontein was bought and erven were sold on 19 April 1845 during a communion gathering. The town was named after the Duke of Richmond from Kent, father-in-law of the Governor of the Cape at that time, Sir Peregrine Maitland.
At the Deelfontein Station.
It was the first house to be built in town in 1846.
The original house of the farm on which the town was founded. It also served as the first church.
Built in 1854, it has the highest pulpit in the country.
60 clear claw-like footprints can be seen, presumably from the Aulacephalodon that lived about 250 million years ago.
Dating from the reign of Queen Victoria. There are only three similar mailboxes in the country.
See the old Market Bell, Memorial Needle and Mountain Tortoises brought here to recover from accidents with vehicles.
Dating from 1868, it is still in perfect working order.
It was originally the Sprigg Bridge when built in 1846.
Richmond is home to one of only two of its kind in the world.
Game viewing and bird watching Tel 0536912 ask for 2221.
Loop Str Richmond 7090 Tel 053 693 0001 www.richmondnc.co.za