After diamonds were discovered along the west coast in 1925, Alexander Bay was known for its mining activities. The resulting ‘diamond rush’ led to the Diamond Coast rebellion of 1928.
At the mouth of the Orange River, the town is no longer a high-security area and no permits are needed. The town takes its name from Sir James Alexander, who shipped the Richtersveld copper ore he mined in barges down the Orange River for export from this bay.
|Kamieskroon Tourism Information|
|Phone:||+27 (0)27 672 1948|
|Namakwa Tourism Office:||+27 (0)27 712 8034/5|
Alluvial Diamond Mine and Museum Tours
ALEXKOR Ltd conducts tours on Thursdays at 08h00. Booking is essential. Tel 027 831 1330.
With 26 species, the world’s largest, desert lichen-field lies atop a hill east of the town.
To be experienced at the four communities of the Richtersveld, namely Eksteenfontein, Sanddrift, situated on the banks of the mighty !Garib (Orange River) offering good angling opportunities; Kuboes and Lekkersing.
Orange River Estuary
A RAMSAR-site, renowned for its prolific birdlife.